Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 4 Cups macaroni
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ Cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 Cup all purpose flour
- 3 Cups 3.25% milk
- 1 Cup whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon Aji Amarillo
- 4 Cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 Cups Gruyere cheese shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Cups panko crumbs
- 6 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a large 3 quart baking dish and set aside until the macaroni is ready.
- Cook the macaroni one minute shorter than al dente. Once cooked, drain the water.
- Coat the macaroni with olive oil and stir. Set aside while the preparing cheese sauce.
- Melt butter in a deep saucepan.
- Stir in the flour on medium heat and mix for approximately 1 minute until golden.
- Gradually stir in the milk and heavy cream until a smooth consistency. Stir mixture for approximately 3 minutes even after you see bubbles. Mix in salt and pepper.
- Add one cup of the shredded cheddar cheese and one cup of the gruyere cheese. Stir the sauce until it’s a smooth consistency. Add two cups of both cheeses and mix until it’s a smooth consistency. Sauce should be cheesy and thick. Then add the Aji Amarillo.
- Add the macaroni until it is fully mixed in with the cheese sauce.
Assembling the Mac N’ Cheese
- Pour the mac and cheese into the greased baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine panko crumbs, parmesan cheese and melted butter. Sprinkle over the top of the mac n’ cheese and bake until golden brown. Bake for 30 minutes.
Let it cool for three minutes and enjoy!