Prep: 45 Minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Yield: 5-8 servings
- 1 Ib Chorizo sausage
- 1 Ib Ground beef
- 1 Cup diced onion
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 1 Can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Can tomato paste
- 1 Jar President’s Choice™ Tomato-Basil Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons of Aji Panca
- ¼ Cup water
- ½ Cup freshly chopped basil
- 1 Teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 Teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
- 4 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 Lasagna noodles
- 2 Cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 Large egg
- 4 Cups mozzarella shredded
- ½ cup grated romano cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Stir around the minced garlic and onions until they are translucent.
- Add the beef and sausage.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Aji Panca, President’s Choice™ Tomato-Basil Sauce, water, basil, fennel, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir together well.
- Simmer the sauce over low heat for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- While the sauce is simmering, place the lasagna noodles in a pan of hot water. Soak for 30 minutes until they soften. Then drain the water.
- In a bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, parsley and egg.
- In a bowl, mix together the Parmesan and Romano cheeses.
Assembling the Lasagna
- Spread 2 cups of meat sauce on the bottom of the lasagna pan.
- Place 4 lasagna noodles over the sauce.
- Spoon half of the ricotta on the noodles and top with 2 cups of the mozzarella.
- Lay another 4 noodles over the cheese.
- Top with the remaining ricotta mixture.
- Spread another 1 1/2 cups of sauce over the ricotta mixture.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup Parmesan mixture over the sauce.
- Top with 4 noodles, 1 cup of sauce, 2 cups of mozzarella and the remaining Parmesan mixture.
- Place tray in the oven and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, covered with foil and then an additional 30 minutes uncovered.
- Let the lasagna cool before serving.