Peruvian Sweet n' Spicy Chicken Wings
These chicken wings are easy to make, flavorful and are great to serve as an appetizer for game nights. The wings are the best of all worlds. They're sweet, savory and spicy.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr.
Ingredients for Chicken
- 3 Ibs of chicken wings
- ¼ Cup of unsalted melted butter
- 4 Tablespoons of sesame oil
- 3 Tablespoons of garlic powder
- 2 Teaspoons of salt
- 2 Teaspoons of black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Ingredients for Sauce
- ½ Teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Teaspoons of ginger powder
- ¼ Cup of honey or maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons of Sriracha Hot Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of Aji Panca
- 1.5 Teaspoons of chipotle powder
- 1 Tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon of flour
- 2 Teaspoons of sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons of chopped scallions
Chicken: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Set aside a greased baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using the paper towel, dry the chicken wings to eliminate moisture.
Put the chicken wings in a bowl. Add melted butter, sesame oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Toss the wings well to coat. Place wings on the oven tray and bake for 55 minutes. Flip over chicken wings halfway through.
Sauce: While the chicken is baking, make the sauce. Add ¼ cup of salted butter to a heated pan. Once the butter is melted, add the crushed pepper, ginger and flour to the pan. Whisk mixture around the pan for 2 minutes. Add lime juice, honey or syrup, soy sauce, vinegar and Aji Panca. Whisk the sauce until it comes to a boil. Set aside the sauce for the chicken wings.
Once chicken wings are baked and cooled, add them to a bowl and pour sauce over them. Toss the chicken wings in the sauce and serve immediately.